The saga continues

Tuesday, November 9, 2010
So I bet you thought the story ended there.  So did we.  By October 1, I was feeling pretty good.  I had started going to the gym, had lost about 5 pounds, and the fatigue was much improved.  We didn't have much time to dwell on our loss, we have other children and busy schedules that need our attention.  To some degree, I was also relieved to be no longer, sick, tired, or bleeding.
Around October 18 I began to wonder about the lack of return of menses.  It had been 6 weeks and I had seen nothing to even hint at it's return.  Of course google is my friend and I did a quick search and was relieved to see that it sometimes takes 8 weeks after a miscarriage for cycles to resume.  I was still in the range of normal.  The relief was short lived though, I obviously wasn't convinced.  The following day, after a La Leche League meeting, I stopped in the dollar store to buy another test.  Of course I had to buy more than one because as most of you know, there is no way I was going to wait until the next day to use FMU (first morning urine).  After enduring some questions and jokes by the cashier, I went home with my purchase and of course used the first one immediately.















Hmmmm........that looks familiar.  The obvious assumption at this point is that we conceived again immediately, before my cycle could return.  Based on possible conception dates, I guessed that I was between four and five weeks pregnant.  Wow, that is an awfully dark line for a test taken in the afternoon at less than five weeks gestation.  That had to be the answer though, right?  My birthy friends were skeptical, while possible, I guess getting pregnant before your cycle returns is not typical. 
That weekend I was a bit under the weather with seasonal allergies and sinus issues.  I spent more time than usual laying in bed.  This is when I started to wonder about my self diagnosis.  Was that movement I was feeling?!  That was also the weekend that my jeans began not to fit any longer.
The following week was scheduled to be a busy one with a couple of long car trips planned.  We visited the zoo on Monday, Tuesday was spent taking care of volunteer responsibilities.  On Wednesday, a local homebirth midwife graciously agreed to meet me at her office to make an educated guess as to what was going on with my body and put me out of the misery of wondering.
She met me at the door and the first words out of her mouth were "you look pregnant to me".  This is significant because a week prior I had seen many friends at one point or another and no one appeared to think the same, or if they did no one is telling.  She led me to the office where she had me lay down to take measurements.  I could almost hear her chuckle as she said "Oh honey, your fundus is above your belly button", followed by, "So, do you want to hear the baby?"  I am sure you can picture the grin on her face.  Of course she had no trouble locating heart tones with a doppler.  So there I was.  From "not pregnant" to somewhere in my second trimester in one weeks time.
I have an appointment with an OB tomorrow, so until then, you now know as much as I do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment